AFI Top 100 – #81: Spartacus EXPLICIT
We review film #81: “Spartacus”…the 1960 film where everyone is Spartacus. Spoilers. Not really spoilers, it’s a scene that even people who haven’t seen the movie know.
I am Spartacus.
My! There is a lot of homosexual undertones in this film. Also, I like your Obi-Wan pony tail.
Lindsay says "It was ok."
Jeff says "Not a fan."
- Michael Douglas is not Spartacus, Russell Crowe is not Marcellus and Gene Simmons (of KISS) is not Varinia.
- Russell Crowe is a terrible painter.
- No matter how far away Spartacus and Varinia are from one another, they can still manage to stop and glance at one another.
- Learned the word "pulchritude" (meaning beauty).
- The spear guards went to the "Stormtrooper School of Aiming".
- Antoninus is secretly Houdini and all he can make appear is eggs. Kind of limiting yourself there as a magician, you know.
- In a lagoon with a giant open clearing on half it, there's a single leaf that hangs and conveniently covers the woman's boobs.
- ¾ of Italy during this time were all lavish matte paintings.
- It takes 1200 hours for an army to march into position for a 15 minute fight!
- Giant logs of fire…pretty fucking cool.
- Kirk Douglas is still alive. Holy cow, the man is 96 years old.
The classic “I AM SPARTACUS” scene