AFI Top 100 – #50: Lord of the Rings – Fellowship of the Ring EXPLICIT
We review film #50: “Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring”…the 2001 film where everyone does stuff and then passes off the responsibility to everyone else. Oh and there’s walking. And smoking. And jump scares. And a Sean Bean death scene.
::hums excerpts from the score::
Lindsay says "I Loved It!"
Jeff says "I Liked it."
- Hey Gandalf, I’m pretty sure there was an easier way to open that envelope besides burning it.
- Never ask strange, hooded creatures on horseback “Who goes there?” late at night. It will only end badly.
- A Ringwraith’s arrival is always premeditated by a Spielberg Shot of the road they’re riding on.
- Ringwraith’s don’t like feathers. Fuck feathers.
- Perhaps the Ringwraith’s would have seen Aragorn coming at the Watchtower if they would simply LIFT THEIR FRIGGEN HOODS up.
- Elvish people are dicks.
- Makeup and miniatures will always be better than CGI.
- Maybe Steven Tyler’s daughter shouldn’t wear her all reflective dress while riding through the forest.
- The Elvish city has been cursed with ever falling leaves.
- One simply does not do an internet meme based upon a scene from this film…wait, yes they do.
- There needs to be a Sean Bean death scene countdown timer as a bonus feature on each of the films he’s in.
- Evil Wizards are dicks to ecosystems. Willing to completely destroy a chunk of a mountain to kill a few hobbits.
- “I wish the ring had never come to me.” – I know a lot of husbands that would say that.
- “Fool of a took!”
- General rule of thumb, never be the first wave in any sort of frontal attack of a movie. They’re generally the first ones to go down.
- You’d think after the first time Frodo gets stabbed, they’d pay closer attention to him. Remember? Carrying the ring? The whole reason they’re on this journey in the first place?
- OSHA would have a field day with those stairs in the Dwarf Caverns.
- Attacking the Fellowship is The Belroq’s side gig. His day time job is posing for Heavy Metal album covers.
- I feel like Galadriel could have simply spoken her lines to Frodo over the pensieve. She didn’t need to do the whole telepathic talk.
- During the scene where Boramir freaks out and attempts to take the ring from Frodo, things start getting a little rapey feeling.
- This movie has so much slow motion screaming.
- Make up, models, and practical effects will forever rule over CGI. Forever.
FORCE PERSPECTIVE BEHIND THE SCENES